Hello every one! It’s time for another soap challenge with Amy Warden and Great Cakes Soap Challenge Club. This month our challenge is to apply a baking technique called mirror glaze to our soaps. This is a challenge for soap because we needed to keep our batter fluid enough to pour the glaze over the tops of our cakes or small muffins…and then make sure we didn’t scratch or damage the glaze before we got our pictures taken!
All of the colors and glitter that I used in this challenge are from Nurture Soaps who is our sponsor for this month’s challenge. I love shopping at Nurture Soap’s website and their customer service is superb! The colors I used in this challenge are: Neon Pink Florescent, Pink Vibrance, Neon Purple, Purple Vibrance, Blue Vibrance, Maya Gold and Shimmer Gold mixed, Neon Green and Alpine Green mixed, Winter White and Titanium Dioxide mixed, Black Oxide (used on the muffins).
The first step was to make the cake and muffins (which were used as a platform to heighten the flower bouquet). Let these set for 48 hours to unmold smoothly. I used my basic soap recipe but I should have used cheaper oils for this cake as we will never cut it but use it for display…live and learn I guess. (Guess I missed a picture of the round muffins.)
During the wait, I started working on the flowers for the cake. I tried piping some but that was a total failure so I used that batch for soap dough. I already had the sculpting tools from previous challenges and my sister gave me her Wilton fondant kit which made the process very easy. I made flowers for several days!
Once the cake came out of the mold it was time to start experimenting on the layout. This took some time as I wanted to keep most of the top clear for the display of the glazing. The below pictures were taken right after I poured the glaze, while it was still wet. I saved all of the over-pour for soap dough. It made a beautiful lavender dough.
Next came the placement of the flowers on the glazed cake. Wow, this was tedious! I was so nervous placing the flowers and praying that I didn’t drop one on the glaze. Alas, I DID drop a jar on the soap and had to hide the mark with the pink lily and swan.
To finish the muffins I cut into them and added salt crystals covered in mica and glitter (from Nurture Soap of course!) and then I dipped them in the clear melt and pour, also from Nurture Soap, and wished I had dipped them first and not over the salt. Some of the muffins wouldn’t spin on the sticks and the M&P globed up around the crystals and cracked but overall I am very pleased with the way this challenge went together for me and with my results.
Until next time and happy soaping!